Sunday, January 17, 2016

Fungi 'devour' anything

'sulfur yellow slime mold'?
The two lower photos are slime mold. I have not been able to find out what kind is the one above, which I found growing on wild animal feces. Its sulfur yellow color was so outstanding on the forest floor among all the brown leaves that I spotted it easily. When I bent to examine it with the magnifying glass I could not help to stay for too long there because the smell was extraordinary strong. I took a leaf that was closed enough to it and I only saw 'yellow dust'.
Phycomyces blakesleanus

I found the filamentous fungus  when I was looking for other pine related mushrooms. My eye caught sight of something tall among the leaves and I could not believed what I saw. How graceful and beautiful that was. I noticed the black tiny drops of  ink at the end of each filament and when I touched it stained my fingers. I checked where were they growing from and it was dog poop. When I had the photo in my computer, I zoomed in and I discovered that when the filaments were shorter, the drops were yellow. The fungus can grow up to 20 cm tall, about 8 inches but, it says in the books that "Its useful life is usually shorter owing to limitations of mechanical stability". The droplet is sticky and it could stick to dust (!) carried away by wind or insects or by animals if it is in the grass.


Phycomyces blakesleanus

No comments:

Post a Comment