Wednesday, January 6, 2016

High fungi fever

Hen of the woods- Grifola Frondosa
In the same Ravine Trail I found Grifola Frondosa. It was growing at the base of a huge oak tree.

There was also a fungus that grew fed by the exudation of some woolly insects. The fungus is named Scorias Spongiosa. It is a mold that grows essentially on their poop! I visited these spot several times, and I disturbed the insects and they would raised their behinds moving the white threads that hung from their rears. The insects are the white spot covering the low branch completely, and the fungus is on the ground, that brownish spongy shape that follows the branch length. The black parts on the ground are the dead parts of the fungus.
Scorias spongiosa- beech tree





As I fell more and more enamored of fungi, instead of walking just to exercise, as I did before, I slowed down my steps to look very carefully everywhere, and  I took notes and photos. My camera was not made for details so the photos were bad.  Now I have a better camera, three books about fungi, and  a microscope that I can plug to the computer. I have collected several samples of fungi. I have made fungi prints to help in the identification of them, and the clear fruit containers are my boxes to store them until I can put my act together. I have taken now hundreds of photos with better luck, and only today I finished deleting and converting them to star using them. The problem is that I don't know how to do it because the camera is very complicated! My high fungi fever will help me to find the way to do it so I can share the beauties that I have found.
It is time to go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment