Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The beginning...


Bondarzewia berkeleyi
                                                                                                                                   

I am rewriting the introduction to my blog which I lost.

It all started one day last summer, when I decided to visit Ravine Trail in Smithville Park NJ. As I entered the unknown area, I saw a big tree and a giant white 'thing' was growing at its base. It measured about 50cms = 20".  It was the fungus in the photo above. It grew up to be 75cm wide!

As I kept walking inside, I fell in love with it. It exerted some kind of magic effect on me. I felt filled with good vibrations. There are several giant trees there, and the circumference of one them measured 240"! It was a fat one. The tree broke and its branches were scattered around. A big stomp is still standing there. A lot of fungi action happens around it, but I couldn't see anything  because the low vegetation was too thick to enter and inspect the terrain and search for fungi. There are a lot of thorny bushes there.
Although this trail is very small, I calculated that the area is less than a square mile, it is a treasure box. It has lots of beech trees, white poplars and oaks.
After this encounter I came every weekend to enjoy the magic and beauty of this spot and to discover more fungi.

No comments:

Post a Comment