Sunday, January 17, 2016

Many fallen trees

Many fallen trees become a treasure box to find all sort of living things on their bark and 'flesh'. As I told you before, this old giant tree fell down not too long ago. It changed a lot of things around it, even the path. I went to inspect the bark and to my delight, there were already lots of fungi growing on it. I couldn't see the details from the tree's base. I measured its circumference and it was around 180 inches = 4.50 meters.  The third photo in the left shows the spot where Bondarzewia berkeleyi  was growing. It was crushed. Perhaps the mycelium is dormant right there, waiting for the next summer to come back and allow the walkers to enjoy the
beauty of nature...
I just read something marvelous! This fungus grows
around the base of oak or beech trees.So this old
fellow was an oak tree. Actually, it is not marvelous
that the fungus grows there because that means
"the beginning of the tree's end"! The fungus rots
the roots and eventually the tree falls as it happened
recently.

Bondarzewia berkeleyi

No comments:

Post a Comment