Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The eyes opened

Giant puffball- Calvatia Gigantea

 My eyes started to spot 'things' in the most unsuspected places. I started to look carefully everywhere. As summer turned into fall, and although the weather stayed warm for so long, the low vegetation started to thin. That's when I discovered more fungi. I was afraid of ticks so I wore socks and tucked the pants in them and kept checking for those unwanted bugs climbing on my legs. I ventured beyond the paths, pushing thorns away. One day I saw something that looked like an abandoned volleyball, and when I came close to it, I couldn't believe my eyes! There was another giant fungus -photo above. It measured 33cms. As the fungus matures, the skin cracks so the  yellowish-green spores can be spread by rain and wind.  I fell in love with all the fungi I found so I visited them several times during these five months of wonderful fun-fungi adventure. The giant puffball is now half size. I helped a bit to spread the spores one day and, I am not sure if that was wrong because I was ill for two weeks with pain in my chest. Perhaps I inhaled some spores.

I saw some white bodies that didn't look like fungus at all. I was puzzle by them until I learned that it was a fungus possibly parasitized  by another one. Its name is Aborted Entoloma. Sometimes few healthy mushrooms show up next to the deformed ones. This beauty grows around beech trees.
Aborted Entoloma

No comments:

Post a Comment